Monday, July 13, 2009

Cravings!!

I've been wanting sweet things for weeks now. Instead of grabbing a deliciously cold and crunchy Dairy Queen Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard, I decided to bake something again. Not a big deal for most people, but I'm not big into baking. I don't know if it's my lack of experience or adapting to high elevation, but sometimes my "from scratch" recipes are a little disappointing.

Here is the latest: Blonde Brownies!

1 c flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c dairy-free margarine
1 c brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1 T hot water
1/2 c chopped nuts (I didn't have any) :(
1/2 c chocolate chips (dairy free) (I used 2 blocks of semi sweet baking chocolate)

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl or pan, melt dairy-free margarine. Combine melted dairy-free margarine, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, and hot water, and beat until well blended. Combine wet mixture with flour mixture and add chopped nuts. Spread in 9"x9" (I used 8"x8") pan, greased.
Sprinkle with 1/2 cup chocolate chips, press into dough.
Bake at 350 F. for 20-25 minutes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
*Recipe from one of the new books I bought: "The Milk Allergy Companion & Cookbook" by Juventa Vezzani

1 comment:

kenders said...

These were actually pretty tasty! They don't even taste dairy free. :)